Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default "best" home warranty company?

Alexander SuperTramp wrote:
I know THAT is a loaded question...my mortgage lender( countrywide) just
sent us an offer for a home warranty , $ 24 /month or 37/month to include
heat/ac unit and it just got me thinking ...do any of these companies have a
better reputation than others? Are there any I should just plain stay away
from?
( we are considering another home for the in-laws wherein a warranty will be
part of the deal).
Thanks!

You also have to take into account the 'service call fee' which I think
in my case was $50 per call. I can probably fix 99% of all problems for
less than the service fee. I did have a sewer pump go out, but the pump
was specifically excluded. Cost me about $200 in parts I did the labor.
My real estate agent paid for a policy but of course I did not renew
despite repeated letters about how my house was going to fall to pieces...

Also if you do have a breakdown of a major item and it needs to be
replaced, then you will be stuck with what they want to install which
will be = to what you have. If you were considering upgrades then that
could be a problem.

Kevin