Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default "best" home warranty company?

Alexander SuperTramp wrote:

I know THAT is a loaded question...my mortgage lender( countrywide)
just sent us an offer for a home warranty , $ 24 /month or 37/month
to include heat/ac unit and it just got me thinking ...do any of
these companies have a better reputation than others? Are there any I
should just plain stay away from? ( we are considering another home
for the in-laws wherein a warranty will be part of the deal). Thanks!

They all have equally bad reputations.

I've never heard of a home warranty that was worth the money. My
opinion is that they're mostly useless.

* There is a long list of things that *aren't* covered, including all
the things you really want. For example, a leak in your water heater is
only covered if it is *not* the result of wear and tear and *not* the
result of an accident. What's left? (This is a made-up example.)

* You are required to use their technicians. These people are never
available because the warranty company pays so little that your job is
always at the bottom of their list.

Open a savings account and put $37 in every month. You'll come out
ahead.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement