Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default we need unions

wrote in message
On Jul 26, 9:06 pm, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 02:54:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Jul 26, 7:23 pm, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:53:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Jul 26, 3:43 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:02:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:55 am, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:08:10 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

without unions there will be no strong middle
class,http://www.unionworld.us

Must be a U.S. phenomena as there is a strong middle class in
many
Asian countries with either no unions or Government controlled
unions.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

You got figures on how many middle class there are as a percentage
of
the population, versus the western world?? - must be a GREAT
place to
work, why else would the western world offshore its manufacturing
there? - maybe, no unions to put a brake on the excesses of
capitalism.

Andrew VK3BFA.

The largest middle class in the world..is in India. By several
orders
of magnitude

Yes, I know that - the same for China, Indonesia, and a few others -
they could buy and sell us all out of petty cash, so numerous are
they. (And if China stops propping up the US, your well and truly
stuffed - its unlikely, they are holding so many USD that would turn
in Pesos if they did - a bad deal for both partys. Thank heavens
their
pragmatic and not run by the Wingers in their government))

BUT - are they 1%, 20 % = what? - never mind the numbers, (millions?)
- do they have a middle class large enough to control the government
to have at least the semblance of self determination, or is it the
traditional 5% who control 95% of the wealth who still run things?

Pointless, but I persist, in between pruning my roses....

Andrew VK3BFA.

In 1992 the military government led by General Suchinda fell as a
result of street demonstrations led by Chamlong, a retired general and
ex governor of Bangkok.

If you were watching television you would have seen the crowds of
people in the street wearing white shirts, dark trousers and shoes.
These were the middle class and their protests, and the responding
actions of the Army were the cause of the coup collapsing.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

And all things are for the best in the best of all possible worlds...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Nobody has said anything about "the best of best worlds". All that has
been said is that there is a viable middle class in Asia and some
examples.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

And all I asked was what percentage of the population would be
described as middle class -its axiomatic that a large, educated middle
class is the best protection against tyranny and dictatorship. If it
hasnt reached critical mass, then you have the situation of, say
Thailand where
".. the army had attacked the protesters and shot a number and entered
the Royal Hotel and attacking both Thais and foreigners there......"

If we're still using India as the example, it's about 4% of the population.
The US middle class is between 40% and 45% of the population.

Sorry Bruce - I forgot you were American , didn't explain myself
simply enough.

Now, now....d8-)

--
Ed Huntress