Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default OT; It had to happen.

Huge wrote:

The Wikipedia article on Passive Smoking has 144 references, mostly to peer
reviewed journals or to authoritative sources. Not one I've looked at so far
says "Passive smoking is harmless, don't worry about it."

Ah yes, but the fag smokers will tell you that this is because all those
researchers are in the evil pay of a sekrit konspiracy that is out to do
down the poor, harmless tobacco companies.

They will say this for two reasons. One is that nicotine causes
vasocontriction which, along with the carbon monoxide and other poisons
in tobacco smoke reduces the flow of blood to the brain and kills
numerous brain cells resulting in a dulling of the wits. The other
reason is that addicts are incapable of admitting that they are addicted
and that the addiction distorts their perceptions.

The same addicts denied that smoking caused *them* harm. I saw one
recently, in hospital for amputation of a leg, which was obviously
gangrenous. The surgeon had just told the addict that the leg would come
off and that they should stop smoking now, if they wanted to stand a
chance of living through the operation, let alone of keeping the other
leg.

As soon as the surgeon was out of sight the soon-to-be amputee was
reaching for her fags, saying "no ****ing poncy **** is going to tell me
what to do."