Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default OT; It had to happen.

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

There are rather more aspects to the story from Mr Williams.

He says that he's a self employed decorator and the unmarked van is
for personal use even claiming that it is for personal use and
getting to and from work.

"I am dumbfounded - the van is only insured for private use and to get
me to and from work," added Mr Williams, from Llanafan, near
Aberystwyth.

He isn't an employee and so this is not the standard employee use of a
personal vehicle. Secondly, are we to believe that the van is used
solely for this purpose and never in connection with his work? How do
the tools, equipment and materials arrive at his customers? Are they
delivered by somebody else? Doesn't seem likely, does it.

In a more telling revelation, he says that the vehicle is only insured
for personal use.

Then he is effectively not insured whilst driving to & from work - his
insurance company wouldn't pay out a claim in those circumstances.
Mr Williams added: "I take the wife shopping in the van. It is my
private vehicle as well as my work van."

So which is it?

I can see his point, it may be the only vehicle they have, so its dual
purpose.
On the one hand he now of course wants this to be a private only
vehicle in order to try to get out of the legitimately levied fine.

On the other, he is saying that it's also his work van.

But its not 'his place of work'. He doesn't carry out his trade in the van.
Could it be that there is a more serious issue here? i.e. insuring
the van for personal use only, yet using it in connection with the
business?

Indeed, see above. My van is insured for both uses.
In the general case of the legislation, it is not the ownership of the
vehicle that is the issue but the use to which it's put.

And that use is surely transport to & from his place of work - not his
actual place of work, which would be his clients premises.

For
example, employees may have a car provided by their company -
becoming less common - or may receive car allowances or mileage
allowances for business use.

So if the latter is the case, could you smoke in the vehicle.

The real point here is that the legislation is deliberately intended to
harrass smokers, nothing else. One wonders which minority group is next on
the list?

I rather hoped it would be people who murder, wound, rape and in other
ways severely damage other people.

But, at least following the tabloid view of the world, perhaps they are
not now a minority?

--
Rod

onset.