Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a new porch light fixture. LEDs ready yet?

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 05:39:55p, Nate Nagel told us...

The light bulb in the fixture on the ceiling of my front porch died last
week; I tried to disassemble the fixture and find that it will take
destructive measures to get it apart.

First of all, I'm having a hard time finding an outdoor light fixture as
low profile as the one that's there. There's only maybe 6" or so
between the ceiling of the porch and the top of the screen door.

Secondly, I was wondering if LED lights would be suitable for such an
application, and if so, any specific recommendations would be
appreciated. I feel kinda guilty leaving a 25W incandescent on for
hours just so I can see the doorknob if I come home late at night.

nate

Obviously, finding a fixture that fits is the biggest problem. If you can
find a fixture where the socket(s) are mounted horizontally instead of
vertically, you should have room to add a screw-in light sensor control
into which you screw the bulb. We use that arrangement on our front light
and, in fact, use a 7-watt CFL "bug" light. The light doesn't come on
untiil twilight and stays on for about 8 hours. Many of the controls are
adjustable for both when they come on and how long they stay on afterwards.

I doubt seriously if you will find a suitable (or attractive) LED light for
that purpose.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)