Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default "Sticky Goo" Inside Remote

"Ken G." wrote in message
I dont think its the rubber breaking down . I have seen many remotes dry
as a dry bone . Many older remotes that were never used dont do this .

Here at my house the only remote that did that was the one i used to
hold i my hand alot . After i cleaned it and stopped holding it the goo
stopped .
I believe its somehow oils from the hands that get drawn in somehow .

I also found a good way to fix those remotes where the rubber pads
inside loose their conductivity .
Clean it real good . Smear a thin coat of auto emblem adhesive on the
pad .

Take a motor brush and scrape it with a knife to make powder on
something then push and smear the glue coated pad into the dust .
This might be old news ?? but it works pretty good .

You can also keep the keymats from scrap phones / calculators / remotes, and
then, when needed, razor blade a black conductive lozenge off the rubber
substrate, then superglue it to the substrate on the keymat you're
repairing, after first razor blading off the worn out lozenge.

Arfa