Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNDER CABINET LIGHTS... hard wired in kitchen - HELP???

On 7/25/2008 1:38 PM infiniteMPG spake thus:

The cable should be connected to the fixture using a "suitable
Romex connector" as the person above stated. This is a cable clamp
(probably marked "NM" or some such, for non-metallic cable) that
will fit exactly in the hole provided in the light fixture. This is
what you're probably thinking of as a "strain relief" (basically
prevents the cable from being pulled out of the fixture).

That end I don't have a problem with, it's where the Romex runs from
inside the wall to outside the wall. Just pull it thru a hole? I was
originally thinking a 2X4 box there and then use a single small holed
faceplate to run the wire out. Do you mean to just have like a 3/4"
hole in the sheetrock and have the Romex pull out the hole and then
into the light fixture with a clamping style connector?

Yes, exactly. No need for a box. Consider the fixture to be the
equivalent of a box with a connector on it.

Not a dumb question at all, by the way.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken