Posted to alt.home.repair
meatnub meatnub is offline

Default How to deal with Mosquitoes in my lawn?

On Jul 25, 4:07*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:50:04 -0700 (PDT), meatnub
wrote:

I live in Southeastern Pennslyvania. My home has a decent yard and I
can't sit outside at dusk at all without being eaten alive.

Use Skin-So-Soft as a repellant.

There is no standing water nearby. I thought mosquito larvae needed
standing/still water to grow in?

I understand larvae can live in as little as a tablespoon of stagnate
water. Given all the home foreclosures and people not tending to pools
and homes the "skeeter" population goes up.

Any place water can collect is a problem area.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to reduce the mosquito population,
i.e. lawn treatment? But I have a 14 month old, so I'm wary about
spraying chemicals.

...."Control: There are hundreds of repellents on the market for
mosquitos. An environmentally-friendly option is to bathe in Dr.
Bronner's peppermint soap, found at health food stores. Mosquitos
don’t like it!

The dragonfly and lizard are nature's way of controlling mosquitos.
Introduce lizards to your landscape as a natural predator."... (my
water authority web siteg

Keep the lawn short? Right now it's about 2-3 inches I believe.

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

I'd introduce lizards, but afraid crows or something would have a
feast, or neighborhood kids would have new pets

I'll have to look into Skin So Soft,thanks.

We have part of our lawn that was dug out and small white rocks placed
in over the dirt to create a little pathway from from of steps to side
of yard to the fence entrance. I wonder, could water pool in there
between the rocks or under enough to give skeeters a breeding ground?

They never put anything under the rocks, so weeds keep growing up out
of the rocks, pain in the butt to keep uprooting. Thinking of removing
the rocks and planting grass again. It's a cosmetic thing that's
creating more of an annoyance it seems.

And if skeeters breed in there in those rocks might be more reason to
get rid of it.