Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default UNDER CABINET LIGHTS... hard wired in kitchen - HELP???

On Jul 25, 2:15*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
We're getting ready to get our new kitchen cabinets and want to pre-
wire for the under cabinet lights. *We're going to tap into the power
off the light switch that currently runs only the light above the sink
and add in a single gang double switch so the sink light and the under
cabinet lights run independently. *The cabinets will be coming with
light kit molding that will run around the bottom edge of the wall
units.

The question is where we run the wires to the lights, how do we come
out of the wall? *We are planning on four (4) outlets to the lights as
the wall units are on two walls and one wall is divided by the kitchen
sink, the other wall is divided by the stove/over stove microwave. *I
am looking at two choices. *First, just run the 14/2 Romex out small
holes in the drywall at a position that should be just below the edge
of the wall units, leave enough wire to connect and leave that hanging
until ready to run. *Secondly is to mount 2X4 boxes against wall studs
recessed into the walls and either put a single round hole faceplate
(like for a cable TV coax plug) and run the wire into the box and do
the connection in the wall. *Or wire actual 120VAC outlets and just
put plugs on the lights.

We're kind of torn on which way to go but we're ready to wire so we
need to decide quick.

Thanks!!!!

I had 3 switched outlets installed above the cabinets on 3 walls
(there is 1 foot of space above the cabinets) these outlets are out of
site when you look up, I plug the LV transformers into there and run
the LV lights wherever I want both above, below and inside some glass
door cabinets. Three wall switches control each wall's cabinet
lighting separately. I prefer LV lighting for on/in cabinets, its
safer.

If you dont have room above for concealed/switched outlets then maybe
your code will allow outlets to be installed directly behind the
cabinets with deeper mud plates so you can trim them inside the
cabinet, this is how I did the outlet for my microwave shelf which is
basically an open cabinet with an outlet.