Posted to alt.home.repair
infiniteMPG infiniteMPG is offline

Default UNDER CABINET LIGHTS... hard wired in kitchen - HELP???

I put in lights beneath the wall cabinets. *I made a 1/2" hole in the wall for the Romex and then attached it to each light fixture using a
suitable Romex connector. *Once connected, I mounted the lights to the
cabinets. *Now, my fixtures were 18" fluorescent fixtures each with
its own switch.

We are going to run the wiring so the switch on the wall that controls
the ceiling lights will be a double switch, one to control the ceiling
lights and one to control the under cabinet lights. When the Romex is
pulled out of the wall it's okay to just leave the wire pulled thru a
hole? No strain relief of anything? I feel kind of dumb asking that
when the original contractor pulled the wire for the oven vent thru a
hole they obviously punched thru the sheetrock with a hammer :O/
hehehehe

If I were to do it over, I'd opt for low voltage lights. *I'd put the transformer in an out of the way location and then run wires to each fixture..

Thought about that but then the light switch would have to run the
transformer and then the low voltage wires be run to all the lights in
order to use a wall switch to control them all. Probably will replace
the wall switch with a dimmer to control the effect down the road and
don't think I could have that option with 24VDC lights.

Thanks!