Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default How to pay painter and crew

On Jul 24, 11:40*pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
Hi

Last year my parents hired a higher end painting company to repaint their
entire interior. *They got a good price but it was still a bit expensive.

I managed the job and let the workers in every day. *The lead guy in the
crew would call me every morning to let them in.

I recently called the lead guy and asked him if he would help me paint my
exterior. *He came by and we discussed the work.

He would do the job on the side on weekends.

He said he gets $22/ hr and the others in the crew get $13/hr. *He said he
would want 1-3 additional people at $13 per hr each.

So am wondering what is the best way to go forward. *Should I settle on a
total price for the job and I pay for the paint and let him figure out and
manage how many guys he uses? \

OR pay him man-hours. *I am afraid if I go this route the job will take
longer and end up paying more.

Any ideas?

In the sf bay area people are hurting for work, I want to be fair, however
there are lots of people hungry for work.

Are you going to paint also, a contractor can get a big discount on
paint you cant get. I see what could end up is inferior work, failing
in a few years, at a higher price from what you are looking at if you
just contract out. If doing the best for cheapest is the objective
then get bids to know where to start. If an owner of a home proposed
that to me, to do work with me I would turn him down because he would
not have the experiance to be paid what he likely felt he was worth,
also he would waste my time nitpicking and teaching him. I envision
an argument. Hire guys T&M with you not knowing everything about
painting sounds like a recipe for big problems you cant forsee. If you
contracted the job and the paint co owner hired you as a tryout at min
wage, it might work. You need a pro, to guarantee his work and be
lisenced and insured, you are not, and I have had claims that would
break you, like ruining an AC, a fire, injuries, ruining 20000.00 in
carpet. You want to be the general in charge, and get paid to learn,
but you are not ready for this. It takes years of experiance to be
able to walk up to a job a know a slacker from from 50 ft away, and
know what is not quality and know how how to not take bs from them.
T&M could double your cost. A common joke is a painter says he needs a
1/4" exterior brush, the salesperson at the paintstore says, I see you
are working T&M again.