Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff, WB8NHV Jeff, WB8NHV is offline

Default "Sticky Goo" Inside Remote

On Jul 25, 12:59 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

. ..

Sometimes, they can seem like they are resisting unreasonably,
but once you find the right places to 'probe', it sometimes amazes
you how readily they then come apart, and you can't believe that
it has taken you so long.

Which is exactly the point. This is a large remote, and it's hard to even
begin to guess where the "ears" are.

I just bought some AR interconnects, which come in a large snap-shut
"egg".
I had little trouble getting it open. So why...?

You can usually insinuate the edge of the knife blade into the crack between
the case halves, and then rotate in the plane of the blade, either up, or
down. This will normally result in the case halves twisting apart at that
point, and will tell you which half is clipped over the other. You can also
normally see at this point, where the case halves are resisting twisting
apart, and that will be where your first clip point is located. You can
either slide the knife blade down to that point, and then knowing which way
the case is clipped together, twist again in that direction, or come out
with the knife and then move down to the clip point, and reinsert. Either
way, it's not that hard, and as I said, probably more a matter of technique
and experience, than special tools, or the manufacturers trying to stop you
getting in there.

Arfa

Some of these remotes aren't even worth the trouble to repair (if
you can get the darn thing open in the first place) when they go bad.
I have a "GE" branded universal remote I bought from a discount store
for $5. I don't see any clips or other types of fasteners holding the
case together. It would seem to me that one would have to almost
literally destroy the remote to get it open.

Oh well. This type of remote is meant to be thrown away when it
fails anyway, like just about everything else these days. The only
reason I bought this particular remote is that it is the only
universal remote short of an expensive learning remote that will
operate all four components of my video entertainment system,
including my CyberHome DVD player.

OTOH, I also have a "One for All" universal remote that should be very
easy to open should it require service, as there is only one screw
holding the unit together. I would still be using that remote today if
it supported my DVD player, but it doesn't--none of the One for All
universals have setup codes for this brand of DVD. CyberHome even
mentions on its website that no other remotes than the ones supplied
with its DVD players will operate them. Jasco Products (the company
that manufactures "GE" branded universal remotes and other video
accessories under the GE name and logo) must have seen the need for a
universal (other than a learning remote) that would operate CyberHome
DVD players, as the unit I have, and likely most other recent-vintage
"GE" branded universal remotes, have setup codes for the CH DVDs, what
few of them are still in use (CyberHome went out of business not long
ago).

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA