Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Request for recommendation for self locking nuts with highest resistance to removal

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:44:24 -0700 (PDT), John2005
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone having experience with self locking nuts can help
me with the following.

At mcmaster.com I found four types of self locking nuts I can use on a
1/4-28 thread bolt. I just want to snug the nut down on the bolt to
take up any linear or axial play, but I'm not going to really torque
the nut down with any significant force. I could use loc-tite to keep
the nut from backing off but I want to try a self locking nut.

I have listed my choices from www.mcmaster.com below. I need to know
which nut will provide the most resistance to removal with a wrench.
There are no vibrations or anything in the application, I just need to
know which self locking method will provide the most resistance to
removal with a standard wrench. The nut will never be removed or
reused after it's snugged down.

If you could also list them in order of most resistance to least
resistance that would be great. If you are aware of any information or
online reference for actual forces required to loosen the nuts, that
would also be very helpful.

90566A210 (Nylon insert type Lock nut)
94830A515 (Expanding type lock nut)
91837A250 (Distorted thread type lock nut, top-lock style)
90040A120 (Distorted thread type lock nut, center-lock style)

I would appreciate any feedback or experiences with self locking nuts.

Thanks
John

in aviation we use the first and third types.
I find that the third type has a stronger hold than a nylock.

look up 'Nord-Lock' on google. this is a little double washer that
sits under the nut. it has stepped faces that make the release force
of the nut higher than the forced used to snug down the nut.
it may be a way of achieveing what you want. you could use plain nuts
or nylocks with them.

Stealth Pilot