Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MetlWiz MetlWiz is offline

Default how do you edge find

On Jul 24, 4:20 pm, Errol Groff wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:24:43 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

wrote:
There's been a role reversal at my place...

Whenever "The Kid" is home, I watch him machine to learn. he edge found a
part (in 15 seconds!) by flicking the edgefinder to make it wobble and then
turning the crank till it was on center.

I've always cranked till the finder "kicks" to one side. I don't have his
accurate eye sight and feel to do it that way. My results weren't as
repeatable ( I tried after he left) so I'm back to the "kick"

Karl

I can't see why it would make any difference to the edge finder which
way the spindle is turning. Other than if you are used to seeing it
kick in one direction it would be disconcerting to have iti kick the
opposite way.

As to which way the spindle turns in high or low range I tell my
students at least a zillion time a year LOOK at the tool when you
start the spindle. Then you will SEE which way it is going. Saves on
end mills and drill points to know which way the tool (spindle) is
turning.

Errol Groff

It doesn't really make a difference whether the spindle is running cw
or ccw, as the edge finder will still jump.. Just that if the edge
you're 'finding' is the X- edge and you're running the spindle ccw it
will jump toward you and is easier to see the jump, IMHO.. On Y edges
the jump is sideways so easy to see in either direction.. One of my
edge finders [I think from SPI] has a very small flat ground on the .
200 diameter so it gives you an audible as well as a visual indication
of the jump.. Just my $0.27 worth..