Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Advice On Laying Hardwood Flooring For Multiple Rooms

On Jul 24, 11:51*am, "h" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 8:02 am, "SteveB" wrote:

Andy wrote:
Hi Gang

We purchased some bulk oak hardwood flooring that looks really great.
We took our time, researched, planned and put some of the hardwood
down in our bedroom. It looks great and now we've finished 1 room.
Now we'd like to continue and do 2 other bedrooms, hall, kitchen and
our family room (all on the same floor). So I'm looking for some
advice on how to lay the hardwood so it is continuous throughout our
main floor. What is the best way to do this so that it looks great.
Please help us newbies. :-)

How you lay the wood is not nearly as important as how *well* you lay
the wood.

In general, I recommend running the boards perpendicular to the
direction you'll usually look into the room. It just seems to look
better that way for some reason. Another common method is to run them
parallel to the longest wall.

I lay the boards so they run lengthwise in the hall, because it's more
work to cut boards to run across the width of the hall. You then have
the choice of laying the rooms the same way as the hall, or
perpendicular. Well, you can do them at an angle if you want, but
that's a *lot* of work.

If you're going to change orientation between rooms, do it at the
threshold so the door hides the joint when closed.

You ignore joist orientation?

What difference does that make with two layers of subfloor?

Where does the OP say there are two layers of subfloor, or Steve's
reply for that matter? Steve is speaking from slab on grade
experience - believe it or not there are homes that have wood framed
floor construction.

Providing advice based on assumptions is poor practice.