Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Capacitor Value Question

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:08:55 -0700, "Chris F."
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Any idea as to the value of this cap? The markings on it a
53D603
A1328-1/K14
0043H550
It's about 2" wide and 1" thick, and comes from a Co-Op brand electric
fence power supply. It tests dead-shorted.

Following on from what DaveM has said, here is the datasheet for the
Vishay Sprague 53D series:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/42037/53d.pdf

"Vishay Sprague 53D series is a general purpose capacitor with a
rugged construction and the largest CV ratings in axial leaded
capacitors. These axial leaded aluminum capacitors feature a rated
capacitance range of 15 µF to 220,000 µF, and an operating temperature
range from - 40 °C to 85 °C."

Rated voltage range, UR 6.3 WVDC to 450 WVDC

Unfortunately the datasheet doesn't show a 60,000uF cap. The largest
is 11,000uF. Furthermore, the capacitor markings only appear to make
sense for the first line.

Judging by your dimensions, if by "wide" you mean "long", and by
"thick" you mean "in diameter", then a 60,000uF cap in the 53D series
would be much longer than 2", I would think.

For example, a 3800uF 50V cap is 2.14" long and 1.01" in diameter.
What voltage could you expect of a 60,000uF cap of the same size?

- Franc Zabkar