Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default "Sticky Goo" Inside Remote

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
A blunt curved X-acto blade in a standard X-acto holder, will
easily open any clipped together remote control. It's just a
case [sic] of experience really, I think.

I attacked the case quite aggressively, and it simply bent, rather than
budging. I wasn't even able to break the case -- though I did (as I found
out later) break the PC board, rendering the unit unrepairable.

I think I'm going to call Toshiba. Not only doesn't Toshiba make a
compatible remote, but they don't supply the full set of codes to
replacement-remote manufacturers.

You must normally release at least two of the clip points, holding them
released either with a second knife / credit card / finger / any of the
other good suggestions that there has been, before finding the rest of the
clip points, which will usually then just 'spring' quite readily. Once you
have three or four of them released, it will virtually fall apart.
Sometimes, they can seem like they are resisting unreasonably, but once you
find the right places to 'probe', it sometimes amazes you how readily they
then come apart, and you can't believe that it has taken you so long. The
top edge of some monitor cabinets is a similar case in point, where unless
you find the exact right place to probe, the clips will resist you until the
plastic breaks.

Arfa