Harry Davidson

Default Jack-of-all-trades

Yes, but these recent things don't seem to be that. An ellipsis is
three dots (no more, no less) and is used to indicate an omission.
These have anything from two to ten dots and there doesn't seem to be
anything omitted. Weird.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:18:29 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"
wrote:

Use of the elipsis was made very popular quite a few years ago, by the likes
of Herb Caen and contemporary print journalists and columnists. There was
even a term coined for the style: "three dot journalism."

"Harry Davidson" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:56:29 -0400, Rod Upfold wrote:

haven't been online for abit......downloaded the new material that I
haven't read........

By the amount of newsreader submissions you have.....how do you find
time to do wood work......

just a question.......

Thanks

Rod

I'm not trying to start anything here or criticize in any way, but I'm
genuinely curious. More and more, I see people using a row of dots
(like the above) instead of just a single period at the end of
sentences. Why are they doing this? Does it serve some purpose I'm not
aware of?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Harry