James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Width of boards for Panel Glue Up

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:07:25 GMT, "Groggy"
wrote:

James,

the others have given good answers but, how many clamps do you have?

Strange question? Perhaps. Pressure from the clamps is transmitted at 45
degrees from the face of the wood, so, if using narrow boards, you need more
clamps - wider boards, less clamps. Most people know this intuitively, but
not the rule of thumb. Maybe not a big consideration for a panel, but maybe
for a table top.

cheers,

Greg

I've got enough clamps to get by I think. Won't be able to glue
everything up at once but that's ok.

I've now run into the Aesthetics issue. I'm working with knotty pine
and need to make these panels from that. I've got 1x10 boards to
work with. Where I'm having trouble is this. I need a 12" panel for
instance. Ok, figure on cutting three boards around 4 1/4 wide or
so. No problem. Cept I can't find a single board that will allow me
to do this without cutting through a large knot. Obviously I don't
want to be gluing this into a panel (prefer to have whole knots at
least on the bulk of the panel). Is it acceptable to say go for 2
3" boards and a 7" board? If I mix and match my widths I think I can
make it work. I'll prolly end up using more wood than necessary as
it'll throw my cutting diagram all to hell but at $0.79/BF, I could
justify buying a couple extra boards.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much.
cc