Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] vk3bfa@hotmail.com is offline

Default OT - toggle switch current rating

On Jul 23, 11:03 pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
wrote:
Thats a bloody big clothes dryer Bob - 5Kw - and I doubt if an
"ordinary" 240v outlet could handle it - you will need a dedicated
circuit, at least. Whats its origin - ex laundromat?

It's not anything special - 25 year old Sears. It's own circuit,
indeed. I suspect you're not in US, where ordinary circuits are 120v &
240v is only for ranges, ovens, & dryers - all of which have their own
circuits.

One alternative is to use a small toggle switch, which controls a big
relay or even better, a SSR (Solid State Relay) which are quite cheap
nowadays...

Larry Jaques wrote:

Why not use a smaller switch to run the dryer through a 240V relay?

That would be my 2nd choice, but I did find the switch I need.

Thanks,
Bob

Ah - I stand corrected. Your right - our standard wall outlets are
240v which can run just about everything as long as the total circuit
circuit) and your also correct, stoves here have their own dedicated
circuit. And increasingly, big air conditioners. (Stuff the
environment - here, our peak power demand is now in Summer for
cooling, rather than a generation before when Winter heating was peak
load. Thats cool - just build another coal fired power station....)
But a 5Kw drier is a big one - hope YOU got cheap electricity....

Andrew VK3bFA.