Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Battery question

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:25:26 -0500, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
canada wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:54:27 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

"charlie" wrote

hydrometer checks the density of the acid. it doesn't check how many
cells
are actually working. you have some dead cells in the battery. you
need to
replace it

PLEASE check out replacing with two 6v. batteries. I did on mine, and
it
was one of the best things I ever did on my MH. Costs the same, and
will
give you many more hours of boondocking battery power. Made an
incredible
difference in mine, but my 12 v.'s were ready to take a dump anyway, so
going to the stupefying performance of the 2/6v. setup was light years
ahead. Don't take my word for it, ask around.

Steve

Definitely the best solution, guys. Paralling battery cells should
only be the method of last resort.

After reading these posts I went hunting for a web page I had read which
explained a certain 'effect' which gave parallel batteries more capacity
than serial. I didn't find it though. However I did find this one which
was pretty good at explaining the differences. They do mention parallel
having more capacity, all things being equal. Anyway choosing parallel or
serial would depends on different factors, which they discuss.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...ry-config.html

Maybe you guys got better results with serial because the battery
technology
was better than the batteries you replaced. Just a thought.

Wayne D.