Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need backup news server

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jul 23, 2:27 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[Google Groups] typically loads and refreshes in 4-5 seconds over a 45K dialup
link.

I am using Giganews, and most messages pop up before I can let up on
the mouse button.

Yeah, I sort of miss having a 500 kilobyte/sec connection at work
rather than 4 at home, but nothing else about that place. The phone
line is too old, long and noisy for DSL and I get my HDTV for free
over the air, no cable or satellite. GG is a simple backup if your
fast & powerful reader goes down or blocks content.

There are several real, free NNTP servers. With a bad connection I
sure wouldn't use Google Groups. My connection just tested at 1086
kilobyte/sec with WSMonlie streaming in the background. OTA TV isn't
available here, so I use broadband. I get basic cable service &
broadband for $64 a month. I have Lifeline telephone service (no long
distance) for another $13 a month. If I didn't need a good connection
to service computers for my volunteer 'Computers for Disabled Veterans"
program I wouldn't be online, at all.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.