Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FOLLOWUP -- Lathe and VFD -- Some results

Ignoramus20788 wrote:

Does your sheldon include a mechanical brake?

No! Motor - gearbox - spindle, no clutch, no brake, no varispeed drive.

Are your 1 second stops, actually happening at high spindle speeds?

Yes, the highest nominal speed is 1250 RPM, there is a version of the
lathe with a two-speed motor, but I don't have that. I could take the
motor up to 120 Hz and get 2500 RPM, but the idea of an 8.25" chuck at
2500 RPM scares me!

What is your jog frequency?

I think it is 5 Hz, I don't remember exactly. it is a programmable
parameter.

Myself, when gears don't engage, I just grab the chuck and rock it a
little.

Yes, works fine in high speed mode, but with the backgear engaged, it
takes a lot of force to turn the chuck. I could EASILY live without it,
but since the VFD supported the feature, I put it in, just a push button
and one more wire.

Jon