Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default OT - toggle switch current rating

(Doug Miller) writes:

In article , Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
(Doug Miller) writes:

"So, if I use a 2 pole 15A rated switch, parallel its poles, & never
break the current with it, could it carry 21A?"

He's not even talking about two switches. He's talking about *one* switch,
and thinking that the L1 and L2 legs are in parallel. They are not.

For what its worth, I read that post the same way Bob did: he's not
talking about the two poles of the power, he's talking about the two
poles of the switch.

And -- ?? 240V has two legs, L1 and L2. Are you suggesting connecting L1 to
*both* poles of a DPST switch, and leaving L2 unswitched? That would leave
120V applied to the load even with the switch off, not exactly a safe thing to
do.

I'm not, I think he is.