Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

Default "Sticky Goo" Inside Remote

In article ,
says...
Ron(UK) wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
The worst part of it is that this problem is easy to fix, but most

remote
controls are almost impossible to disassemble.

Screws aren't enough -- the back snaps together so tightly that, unless

you
have the right tool and know how to use it, it's impossible to open the

back
without destroying the unit. I irreparably damaged remote for a Toshiba

IDTV
doing this, and of course, full-function replacements aren't available.

The remote for my NAD MR-20a is secured solely wth screws, and is easy

clean.

Warming them with a heat gun, and a bit of twisting often gets them
apart. Don't over heat ones with lcd displays tho.

Ron

I've often done that, assuming a hot air gun , masking off any problem areas
like LCD, soft buttons etc. Stout thumb nails are useful tools also,
structuraly just about the right material.
Anyone know of a similar material that is easier to use with heated plastic?
Thin, tough and short scale flexible, long enough to get some purchase

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I use one of those fake credit cards that come in the mail. They are
thin enough to slide along and release the catches, and if you damage
the card it's no big loss. I trim the card if it gets too raggy, and use
it until there isn't anything left to hold on to. Now I save all those
free credit card offers from American Express etc., until I get the fake
cards out of them.

- Tim -