Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] vk3bfa@hotmail.com is offline

Default how do you edge find

On Jul 23, 9:58 pm, " wrote:
On Jul 22, 8:24 pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

There's been a role reversal at my place...

Whenever "The Kid" is home, I watch him machine to learn. he edge found a
part (in 15 seconds!) by flicking the edgefinder to make it wobble and then
turning the crank till it was on center.

I've always cranked till the finder "kicks" to one side. I don't have his
accurate eye sight and feel to do it that way. My results weren't as
repeatable ( I tried after he left) so I'm back to the "kick"

Karl

I do it your way, Karl. That's what they taught me back in the 50's,
when I was an apprentice and I don't see any reason to change, as it
has always produced satisfactory results for me.

Lewis.

*****

I got shown another method at school on Tuesday - chuck up a dowel
pin, say 10mm, and coat it with marking pen - bring work to spinning
pin until you just see a faint line appear on the down as the job
wipes it off. Then add 5mm (ie, 1/2 the pin diameter) and you will
have your edge...then add 1/2 job diameter if you want the centre -
zero your DRO - this was part of the setup for an indexing exercise..

Andrew VK3BFA.