Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default Landscaping - rock vs. wood chips?

wrote:

I removed some old, dirty river rock from the landscaping trenches
around my house, and would like to replace it with something else.
There are some bushes every few feet. I'm undecided between some type
of wood chips, or an some type of rock. My house color is tan.

My main concern is that rock gets so dirty and unsightly over time. I
figure with woodchips, I can add new chips in the spring to renew the
look.

Any advice on what to consider? What is easy to clean out (twigs,
leaves, etc)? What is the least maintenance? Other alternatives?

You are on the right track.

Stone looks nice as long as you keep it cleaned. You'll have to
regularly remove leaves, then every few years remove the rock to
replace the landscape fabric underneath. You do have the landscape
fabric, don't you?

Use mulch instead of woodchips. The chips tend to wash away. Heck, even
a strong wind will scatter them. I like the finely chopped mulch,
myself. It looks nice and breaks down more evenly.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement