Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Is it okay to put a fridge outside?

Robert Green wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
stuff snipped

In many states, if a child dies in a refrigerator or an unattended pool,
there's both criminal and civil liability. So, even if you believe in
Darwinism, it's not a good idea to leave an old refrigerator out where

kids
can get to it. It could cost them their lives and you everything you

own
and maybe even your freedom, too.

--
Bobby G.

I coulda sworn car trunks for last several years had emergency releases
on the inside. Whitish plastic loop thing? Anybody got a recent sedan
to look? (My only car with a trunk is 9 years old.) Of course, that only
does any good if the trapped person is aware of it, and can find it in
the dark.

I believe they must be made out of glow in the dark material to make it
easier to find them and became mandatory in 2002. Your car's not new enough
to have one, although there are retrofits available. There had been
pressure to add such locks to all US vehicles after a cluster of 11 deaths
occurred in the late 90's:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00055794.htm

IRRC, it was not just trunk entrapment deaths of children, but victims of
kidnapping and domestic violence who ended up entrapped that really pushed
trunk release. As one who had foolishly ridden into a drive-in movie a
long, long time ago packed in the trunk with two other impoverished college
students, I can attest that driving around locked in a car trunk is a pretty
serious psychological experience, even if it's just for a little while and
under friendly circumstances. I can't imagine what it's like to have a
kidnapper or a homicidal spouse take you for a trunk ride.

Car trunk deaths are very often multiple fatalities and frequently a
gruesome combination of hyperthermia and asphyxia. I saw some photographs
of the inside of a trailer where over a dozen illegals died from
hyperthermia and asphyxia and it's clear they were struggling mightily to
chop an air hole into the side of the trailer but it got too hot too fast
for them to succeed. Death comes very quickly because the closed
environment allows humidity levels to soar so the victims can't shed the
rising heat by sweating.

Kids And Cars www.kidsandcars.org sells a retrofit kit called the Quick-Out
Emergency Trunk Release. Consumer's says you can buy it for $18 including
shipping and handling at www.aablelocksmiths.com. No affiliation, not even
a satisfied customer, not even a customer at all! I just found it with
Google. (-: But it sounds like a good idea for families with little kids
and old cars with trunks.

Maybe it's just as effective to terrorize your kids into thinking the trunk
is the most dangerous place in the world and if they climb in, there are
giant teeth that will eat them. What's the cost of a lifetime of trauma if
you can save $18. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Moot point for me- no rug rats live here, no prospects for any living
here, and when I go to visit the ones I am related to, I have to get on
an airplane. So no point in my getting a retrofit kit.

--
aem sends...