Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus2245 Ignoramus2245 is offline

Default OT - toggle switch current rating

On 2008-07-23, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I'm in the process of modifying an electric clothes dryer. I want to
switch 21A, 240v current, but I don't have, and can't find, a switch
with that capacity.

How about McMaster item 7657K33, open frame DPST, 30 amps at 600 VAC,
3 HP rated, for $24.24? Page 854 of the catalog.

But, as I understand it, switches are rated for the current that they
can *break*. My application will never require the switch to break the
current - that will be done by the dryer's timer.

Also, in a closed-contact situation, I'm thinking that paralleling 2
sets of contacts will double (more or less) the current capacity.

So, if I use a 2 pole 15A rated switch, parallel its poles, & never
break the current with it, could it carry 21A?

Thanks,
Bob

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/