Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O Greg O is offline

Default OT - toggle switch current rating

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I'm in the process of modifying an electric clothes dryer. I want to
switch 21A, 240v current, but I don't have, and can't find, a switch with
that capacity.

But, as I understand it, switches are rated for the current that they can
*break*. My application will never require the switch to break the
current - that will be done by the dryer's timer.

Also, in a closed-contact situation, I'm thinking that paralleling 2 sets
of contacts will double (more or less) the current capacity.

So, if I use a 2 pole 15A rated switch, parallel its poles, & never break
the current with it, could it carry 21A?

Thanks,
Bob

Grainger 5HA31
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5HA31