Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default AT&T/Bellsouth removes alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
, Maxwell Lol wrote:

Jack Stein writes:

So are you saying Comcast and Verizon will drop Usenet because they
can't afford the storage?

Don't forget the labor and maintenance.
Anything they can do yo save pennies.

Exactly... losing a few customers by dropping usenet, and effectively getting a
small increase in profit by volume, would seem to me better than raising the
monthly fees of ALL subscribers and watching many of them quit..

First, you must know what providing Usenet costs Comcast, then, you must
know how many customers will be ****ed off about it. I agree Usenet is
used by a small percentage of Comcast customers, I also think a small
percentage use 6 Email accounts or put up Web pages on the free web
space they provide. There are likely other things they provide free
that I don't know, or care about. The stuff starts to add up when you
start ****ing off groups of people that do use your services.

Considering Usenet has many, many 10's of thousands of newsgroups, if
just ONE person participated in each newsgroup, you would have many
thousands of Usenet users. What adverse affect dropping Usenet would
have is something I can only speculate about, just as I can only
speculate what percentage of expenses would go away if they drop usenet
altogether. Personally, I think Usenet and the independent providers
that charge a fee would suffer the most, not Comcast or Verizon. I
guess it's possible only the elite users would go to the trouble to hook
up and pay extra for Usenet, but I think it would be a net loss rather
than a gain. I've been wrong before though, so who knows.

Currently, my speculation is that Comcast feels all these services are
worth it to them, else they would have dropped all of them.

I recommend anyone that is using Verizon high speed internet services
for their ISP, switch to Comcast the minute Verizon drops any usenet
service provided by Comcast, and make sure they let Verizon and Comcast
know why you did it. If you don't have comcast available, talk to
J.Clark, as he knows Verizon and Comcast are not the world, perhaps he
can hook you up with a high speed provider other than these two giants.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com