Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default dice milling project

On 22 Jul 2008 03:36:56 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Curt Welch) quickly quoth:

Here's a 2" dice I made as a welding project. This was done with
oxy-acetylene The dots are brazed. It's made out of 18 gauge steel. The
holes were drilled, then I welded backing plates to each piece and then
filled the holes by brazing. Grinding off the excess got it back to the
nice round circle shapes for the dots. (no seams or screews

http://newsreader.com/dice.jpg

Cute, and the Miller catalog it's resting on in the pic is a nice
photographic touch, Curt.

On the same line of projects, I made a 4" cube out of 3/8" steel with only
stick welding. It was done with 7018 rods.

http://newsreder.com/cube.jpg

At a bit over 5 lbs in weight it makes for a serious paper weight.

I reckon so!

I also made a 2" cube out of 18 gauge steel with Tig. Don't seem to have a
picture of that online. TIG was by far the easiest for me.

Welding a cube is an interesting project because the errors of alignment
and distortion tend to add up showing off your mistakes. Welding shut a
sealed container is also an interesting task as the hot air tends to want
to expand and blow out your weld pool. Nice little projects for testing
your skills as a welder and you end up with something fun for you desk in
the end.

That does sound challenging.

For the oxy-acetylene class I also made this more complex art-like
project....

http://newsreader.com/rosebee.jpg

I particularly like the thorns on the stem and the BBBBs (ball-bearing
bee butts.)

Good show. Carry on.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni