Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Dell Dimension 4600C cpu fan dead.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:30:07 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Meat Plow wrote:

Fan speed would be controlled by the mainboard via CPU core temp.
Most fans on newer mainboards run full speed when the PC is first switched
on. Some wait a few seconds and then throttle the fan speed back to 1850
RPM. Some are much quicker to throttle. This is the behavior on my MSI AMD
Athlon X64 and Intel 865 P4 mainboards.

Probably to test the three wire fan, to make sure it works at full
speed before booting.

I believe that the fan is controlled by a hardware monitor chip. I
suspect that this chip defaults to full speed when it first powers up.
Thereafter the BIOS or software assumes control of it. That could be
the reason for the delay.

- Franc Zabkar