Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Could De-Bundling Have A Positive Impact On UseNet?

mac davis wrote in
:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:00:01 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

I think that in the long run, it will improve the overall quality of
UseNet..

If the only folks that used newsgroups were the ones that were willing
to pay a few bucks a month to do it, could that clean up some of the
"static"?

I know that when we moved to Mexico, we went from Comcast to a
satellite service and had to find our own news server.. And in getting
APN, in our case, we found out how UseNet SHOULD work, IMO..

I see the dedicated news server folks getting more clients/cash flow
and hopefully continuing a high level of service..
If I need support or billing info, I'd rather deal with a company that
provides my service, rather than someone who farms me out and hasn't
got a clue what I need..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

(I hope I trimmed properly, some of the non-quoted text seems awful
familiar.)

The problem pay services have is getting people to actually do it. I
could fill up quite a bit of my time with forums and newsgroups on the
free Internet rather than pay money for a now not-free Usenet. Without
Usenet being free*, is there enough interest in it to draw people to it?

Nowadays it's rare to see an Internet message pointing to a Usenet group.
Back in the '90s, it wasn't so rare.

*free in this case refers to the need to spend no additional money for
access.

Puckdropper