Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Rifle works with scope -- after nearly a year

I bought a Savage 12BVSS rifle and a Swift scope last August.

The rifle was obviously faulty: grouped like a bug sprayer. There
was a burr on the crown. I sent it back to the factory, they fixed it
and sent me a respectable test target proving it.

Then the scope wouldn't zero on the rifle. Not even close. Sent
scope back. It was replaced. By then it was January, not exactly
outdoor shooting season in MN for the likes of me.

Then I had my program interrupted in May by other events.

Coupla weeks ago I consulted a gunsmith that I'd discovered near me.
He said no prob, just need some shims.

Shims? A supposedly high-quality rifle and reasonably decent scope
need shims? Sounded like heresy to me. He said he understood my
attitude, but it happens all the time and I should not think less of
my rifle or scope. He'd get me squared away with the scope knobs
hey-diddle-diddle right-in-the-middle and, 4 clicks from zero at 100
yd. I bade him please proceed, I wanna shoot this sonofabitch at
least once before I'm too old to do so. He charged me 10 bux.

Took it to the range today, with 90 rounds of ammo in various recipes
and flavors to see what it might fancy.

By golly, with some loads I was putting two and three rounds thru the
same hole at 100 yds -- this with no cooling-off period at all. Hot
damn!

I set up a small designer-water bottle, invited Mar to "watch this"
thru the 8X binocs that are always near at hand. BANG. Nothing
happened. WTF, over? Ah, there were some rocks in the bottle for
stability so maybe I punched it without toppling it? Holding that
thought, I decided to shoot at the orange cap. It's only about 3/4" x
3/4" but made of sturdier plastic than the rest of the bottle. BANG
The suddenly capless-and neckless bottle leaped into the air
downrange, cargo of rocks and all. OH YESSSS!!!!!

I then proceeded methodically like a good little scientist for a
while, recording chrono readings and noting which loads made what
groups on which targets. But the hole idea here is fun, right?
HFIJ1 -- having fun is job 1, if it ain't fun why do it. So, for the
grand finale I set up a small bottle that was filled clear full with
water and then capped. Range 100 yd. I used two rounds of the five I
had with that recipe to re-zero the scope. Got 3 left to fire for
effect, we're gonna see what happens here. Mary's on the binocs.

BANG. The bottle disappeared, a cloud of mist a couple of feet in
diameter appeared in its place. OH, COOL! I shoulda put some red
dye in the water. This was just an ordinary bullet, Nosler 55 gn
ballistic-tip .224 mosying along at 3500 fps or so. WOW! Mary
confirmed that I didn't miss anything by blinking at recoil; she saw
the same thing I did.

I still dunno if a guy should have to shim a scope on a supposedly
decent rifle -- but what the hell, I'm finally having fun with it.