Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Laser tape measure?

In article ,
says...
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , Richard Evans wrote:

Just doing the occasional home improvement project. I'm remodeling a
6' x 8' entrance foyer and I'd like to use single pieces of molding.
Hence the desire for accurate measurement.

And the reason that a plain ordinary tape measure from Sears won't work for
this purpose is -- ?

Ever tried standing on a ladder and supporting eight feet of tape from
one end of the room to another?

No, never tried that, because I realize there's no need to.

Method 1:
Set ladder near center of wall. Extend tape to one corner. Make a pencil
mark at four feet. Extend tape to the other corner, and measure to the
mark. Add 48", and that's the dimension.

Method 2:
Obtain two straight wooden slats, each slightly more than half the
length of the wall. Set ladder near center of wall. Extend slats until
one end of each slat touches a corner. Mark the point of overlap on one
slat.

Method 3:
Get a second ladder and a second person to hold the tape.