Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tankless water heater

"Stormlady" wrote in message
I'm looking for opinions/advice on these. I've just purchased a house and
the current hot water boiler is in the closet in the child's room on the
second floor. Aside from the fact that this renders her closet
practically useless for hanging clothes, I'm concerned that if it leaks
there's going to be a huge mess with damage to her room/floor and the
floor below. Unfortunately due to the layout of the house (4 mini
levels/split level in a townhouse) and the location of the plumbing,
there's nowhere else to put the boiler so I was considering getting one of
the tankless systems. I think this could be installed in the crawl space
under the 2nd level, (tank would never fit in crawl space). The house is
currently wired with 125 amp service providing electric heat for 1200
square feet of living space with 2 adults and 2 small children living
there. Is it feasible to install? Is there anything else I should
consider? Is 125 amp enough to run one of these? This is my first house
and I've owned it less than a week, so I know nothing about anything when
it comes to home renos/installs....

You will probably need more than 125 amps just for the tankless water
heater. Gas is not an option? If you are only concerned about flood damage
get a plumber to install a pan under the current water heater. There
probably is a drain line for the temperature pressure relief valve which can
be connected to the pan.