Posted to sci.electronics.repair
z z is offline

Default Does the CRT deflection coil hold enough charge to zap somebody?

On Jul 16, 5:55*pm, Bill wrote:
Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:48:29 -0700, "Nicole Bischoff"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Richard the St00pid Bullis says so on 24hoursupport.helpdesk.

A coil holds no charge. A capacitor does. However a coil's back emf
may belt you if you interrupt its current flow.

- Franc Zabkar

* If the set is on and you are playing near the CRT you will get zapped
from the CRT and not the coil. If it is off you can get nailed by the 25
KV of the anode capacitance which can be there for days. I got knocked
across the room once by a hand to foot discharge, some people get killed
by it, and I now put my elbow on the chassis so only my arm gets hit, a
big ouch but not dangerous except to your arm and finger nerves.
Always discharge high voltage. I got nailed by a 2,000 volt capacitor on
a microwave that had been off for 3 days, less voltage but a big uF cap.
Bill Baka

i still remember grabbing hold of the capacitor on my friend's science
fair project tesla coil when it was off. yahoohooie!! i felt like a
character in a warner brother's cartoon.