Doug Miller

Default Accurate cross cuts

In article m, "Absinthe" wrote:
I'll say this, I may have had some questionable electric tools from Sears, I
have never had much reason to curse a hand tool I got from them.

Square is easy, draw a line, flip the square and draw another line, if they
are parallel then it is square if they converge then they are not...

This is sufficient to demonstrate approximate squareness, but is not
sufficiently precise to determine a truly accurate square.

Or take
a small machinist square with you and use it to check them, but I can't
imagine that would work any better.

Actually, that will work a *lot* better. You need a machinist's square of
known precision, a straightedge also of known precision to base them against,
and a set of feeler gauges to measure the deviation between them.

Come to think of it, I would think
there were some neanders here that have built countless of their own squares
which I'm sure they will also claim to be dead on...

Oh, no, not *that* debate again (Strickland vs. Bennett).

--
Regards,