Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default Could De-Bundling Have A Positive Impact On UseNet?

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Wow. I'm hardly ever called "thoughtful" these days in newsgroups. You
must be an old timer and untainted! G

I don't want to reply to each point, but I didn't think that Biker
posting you mentioned was actually a newsgroup posting. I had heard
about that as a chat room thing. I admit I could have heard it wrong and
concede the point to you.

Ahh... The media-covered ones may have been... As the media calls
everything a chat room at times...

And as for the child porn thing, I was asking cause and effect. Do you
take the position that the existence of porn newsgroups featuring 16 and
17 year old young women posting self-taken photos of themselves undressed
CAUSES the child porn posting? I guess it is a chicken or egg question.

I was talking about the posts with younger kids... As young as 6 have been
reported that I've read about...

As for the cause and effect part - I missed that context. But yes, a
chicken and an egg argument could be made.

And while you did pose some questions I cannot answer, or debate, I claim
I am the type of person who feels that a specific newsgroup that is found
in violation of the law (or Law) should be specifically targeted for
punishment, not the entire alt.* newsgroup structure. (how that
punishment occurs (enforced? imposed?), I don't have a clue.)

And here we agree 100%! It's not the ISP's job to cancel the newsgroup at
it's source either, it's their job to not provide access if the newsgroup is
a known "violator" IMHO.

It's a slippery slope... Who is the judge? Who determines whether a
newsgroup is punished for the actions of the few or the one? What if I post
something illegal here? Does that mean all woodworking folks miss out on
the newsgroup because I spammed the group with this or that which was
illegal?

One thing is certain. Change is here and also coming.... And that's the
only constant in the electronic communication realm. Before the "Internet"
as we know it, there were BBS systems and there was plenty to love and hate
there... After the internet as we know it will be something else. Those
who like what they have will always fight to hold on to it and those who
change things will always improve / mess up what is already there.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244