Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default Could De-Bundling Have A Positive Impact On UseNet?

In the forums that showcase death photos, there have been times when
people post photos evidence photos before they are to be used in
trials... Where the leaks come from, nobody knows, but a piece of info
released like that can (but may never have been) used to argue that
information was not handled properly and cause a mistrial, etc...

Ok - but those would more likely be published to web sites than to usenet
groups.

That is a fact... But a web site is more easily tracked than a newsgroup so
the really fringe folks may choose a newsgroup... And get a lot less
exposure.

People have threatened each other with harm or worse - which is a
crime...

Guess we should kill the spoken word and all forms of written
communication then.

Shh... There might be a political candidate reading this and you might
plant an idea!!! Be careful what you say...

Some in the motorcycling or street racing groups have posted about when /
where a little ralleye will take place in order to either facilitate
street racing or other questionable activities...

Yeah, but I don't think that's really a big concern for law enforcement.
At least I hope that's not one of their bigger concerns...

Depends on the city. NYC - No. Bucksnort, Arkansas might be a different
story where they count raccoons at night to stay awake.

On the far edge of society and in the hardcore porn newsgroups, the
locals and feds very often report anonymous and sometimes even
non-anonymous posters putting up porn of kids, etc. Google "NAMBLA" and
see what kind of oxygen thieves are living on our planet.

Yeah - but again, the web is full of a lot more of this than usenet is. A
better approach is to tackle the source of the problem.

Agreed. I didn't think you were making an argument for a different approach
as much as I thought you were looking for concrete examples. Thus my post.

I personally won't miss many of the forums that disappear - even if it is
censorship. But I also understand the push by the providers to "clean
up" their service regardless of whether I agree with it or not. Now that
the crackdown has started, many of the "legitimate" newsgroup forums are
suffering badly. the only good thing may be if the spammers are also
sent off to never-neverland... Maybe there will be 2 of us here a year
from now discussing the on-topic stuff.

I won't necessarily miss the stuff that disappears either, but I do find
myself riling up at the supposed reasons for these things.

Same here. You, if you are a techie of sorts, may enjoy Emmanuel
Goldstein's writings. Google 'em and the quarterly he puts out.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244