Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Could De-Bundling Have A Positive Impact On UseNet?

Phil Again wrote:
{snip}

It looks to be the case that binaries will go first but there may
ultimately be a reduction or elimination of all Usenet service
through ISP's.

{snip some really good points}

I don't know...maybe, but it is more likely that any NG with the
words
"erotic", "erotica", or "porn" will soon be gone. This is just pure
censorship by another name.

I had thought the first to go would have been the IRC chat rooms
before they got around to newsgroups. Was I ever wrong.

But just asking... has anyone ever heard of a trial or conviction of
anyone who went bad or committed any crime JUST because the read any
specific newsgroup? Any evidence submitted in a trial that the
cause
of a crime was rooted in reading newsgroups????

I am aware that IRC chat rooms have been used to facilitate, or aid,
in the commission of crimes; and instant messaging services I read a
rumor have also been used as an aid. But have anyone read or heard
where a newsgroup was used?

Well, downloading one "kiddy porn" image is a crime, even if you
didn't know what it was, as is recieving one in the mail even if you
didn't order it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)