Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default Could De-Bundling Have A Positive Impact On UseNet?

But just asking... has anyone ever heard of a trial or conviction of
anyone who went bad or committed any crime JUST because the read any
specific newsgroup? Any evidence submitted in a trial that the cause of
a crime was rooted in reading newsgroups????

I am aware that IRC chat rooms have been used to facilitate, or aid, in
the commission of crimes; and instant messaging services I read a rumor
have also been used as an aid. But have anyone read or heard where a
newsgroup was used?

In the forums that showcase death photos, there have been times when people
post photos evidence photos before they are to be used in trials... Where
the leaks come from, nobody knows, but a piece of info released like that
can (but may never have been) used to argue that information was not handled
properly and cause a mistrial, etc...

People have threatened each other with harm or worse - which is a crime...

Some in the motorcycling or street racing groups have posted about when /
where a little ralleye will take place in order to either facilitate street
racing or other questionable activities...

On the far edge of society and in the hardcore porn newsgroups, the locals
and feds very often report anonymous and sometimes even non-anonymous
posters putting up porn of kids, etc. Google "NAMBLA" and see what kind of
oxygen thieves are living on our planet.

I don't think that is what you had in mind when you asked, but it is all a
crime under all or some circumstances involved - at least here in the USA...

Being a youth leader for almost 20 years has exposed me to lots of fringe
stuff through the kids I work with. It's amazing how well balanced some
kids are and how much trouble others can get into in a very short amount of
time. Working with the authorities and their parents has led me to believe
that a lot of it could be avoided if the parents didn't set the example for
a bad lifestyle in the first place... From porn to drugs to gangs to a
simple lack of manners or respect... It almost always starts with the
parents IMHO.

I personally won't miss many of the forums that disappear - even if it is
censorship. But I also understand the push by the providers to "clean up"
their service regardless of whether I agree with it or not. Now that the
crackdown has started, many of the "legitimate" newsgroup forums are
suffering badly. the only good thing may be if the spammers are also sent
off to never-neverland... Maybe there will be 2 of us here a year from now
discussing the on-topic stuff.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022