Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Pigeons

On 2008-07-21 14:03:52 +0100, Rod said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I've been doing quite a bit of macro work lately. Apart from the
standard and obvious flowers and insects, there are plenty of other
subjects such eyes of animals.

And fungi.

The problem I always have is sufficient light. I don't always want what
flash (even multiple flashes) brings to the picture. A good diy topic -
making a reasonably inexpensive, portable, lightweight-enough,
non-flash lighting rig for macro/close-up work.

Have you found any good local sites?

Pamber Forest and Harpsden woods are two food places near(ish) to here.

Have you tried multiple flash with reflectors etc. to avoid the
harshness of direct light? I've used an off-camera bounced flash with
white cards to good effect.

Otherwise, what kind of lighting are you thinking about? The
problem is always going to be weight of batteries.