Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Productivity Problem

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:48:02 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news:17vv749mb19ahv7n0v4faibsp6ugl4kjqi@4 ax.com...
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:48:20 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news:08gu7458e3ppd6da2kuaiorus3m70nma72 @4ax.com...
snip

You guys are sure giving that union troll a lot of air
time...again.

Ron is a troll and he knows unions are a hot-button with many here
so, he
wins!

The wise man stops to think before typing.

I don't think that Ron is a troll so much as a prosyletizer. And,
considering this crowd, he's in the lion's den.

I don't believe he'd be back for more if he weren't a troll, sir.

He's not starting conversations. He's laying out his "evidence." Think
of him as a persistent proselytizer. g

OTOH, he's about the only one here who promotes the other side of the
story.
And there are two sides to it. You just don't like to hear it.

"Promotes"? Methinks you misspelled "lies about", Ed. He praises
unions, the Army says "See the world!", and religious fanatics talk
about "heaven", as if there's nothing else to life. Nah, don't want to
hear about it, thanks.

That's what I mean.

--
Ed Huntress

Come on Ed, the only thing missing from Ron's pontificating is 72
virgins!

Overall, Ron is a little less than half right. That's about the same
percentage as the anti-union set delivers here. It's also about par for
people pontificating about history and economics when they were bored
stiff in history class and never read the books, and have spent maybe an
hour of their lives studying economics.

--
Ed Huntress

I'm anti-CORRUPT-union...is that the same? After 35 years, I've experience
quite a bit of that, including grand theft, fraud and coercion that
involved many police and NLB investigations.

Unions were born in brutality and corruption, with hundreds of them hung or
shot to death in the 19th century; ex-cons hired by factory owners and given
machine guns mowed them down in at least three demonstrations; dozens were
lynched for leading strikes, and the corrupt cops who could have stopped it
either cheered it on or turned their backs. It's a brutal business. In turn,
it's bred violence and corruption within its ranks and a no-holds-barred,
mob-style attitude.

Should we be surprised? The thing is, if you're anti corrupt union because
they're corrupt, then there's hardly a powerful institution in this country
that doesn't deserve the same reaction from you. Corruption is the product
of power and opportunity. No segment of society is immune to the incentives
for corruption, and no segment of society is free of the kinds of greed and
ambition that lead some people to become corrupt. There are corrupt church
ministers as well as corrupt corporate treasurers and politicians.

So you have to put that into perspective to judge the whole system in terms
of net effects on people. I don't think that many people can detach
themselves from their emotional reactions and view it purely in terms of
economic and social effects. Either that, or they view it through an
ideological filter that blinds them to what's really going on.

--
Ed Huntress

Are you condoning corruption in the unions or anywhere else because:

"Corruption is the product of power and opportunity. No segment of society
is immune to the incentives for corruption, and no segment of society is
free of the kinds of greed and
ambition that lead some people to become corrupt. There are corrupt church
ministers as well as corrupt corporate treasurers and politicians."

Well, since there are corrupt church ministers...it's all OK???

SHAME ON YOU! Sorry, I can't condone it. Next, tell me my right/wrong
detector is too biased or politically incorrect; that I have no right to form
opinions about corruption.

Stop putting words in my mouth, Tom. I didn't say I condone it. What I said
was that if that's the reason you despise unions, then you'd better despise
every major institution in the US -- and the world, for that matter. You'd
might as well just hole up and hide out. Or if it really upsets you, you could
get involved with changing it...but that's a lot of work.

--
Ed Huntress

Don't put words in MY mouth! I said: "I'm anti-CORRUPT-union." And somehow you
derive: "you despise unions". ...good try, won't fly.