Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Fluorescent light problem

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:38:38 -0400,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. At
times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. When it
fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. I have replaced both
rings but that doesn't help. I don't see a ballast or starter but I
haven't looked inside the fixture. What could the problem be?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

If it's old, it could be a bad starter. If the switch is ON and the
ring won't light, lightly brush the ring using your hand--does this
work? Closely inspect contacts and connections for any corrosion,
evidence of sparking, or loose connections. Not sure how long you
want to troubleshoot, or just replace the fixture and be done with it.