Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default Fluorescent light problem

On Jul 20, 3:38*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. *At
times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. *When it
fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. *I have replaced both
rings but that doesn't help. *I don't see a ballast or starter but I
haven't looked inside the fixture. *What could the problem be?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

I agree with the two comments. 1. Possible bad ground issue. 2.
Ballast bad, above the parts you can see. I also agree that replacing
it may be the best idea, but remember that you will need a fixture
large enough to cover the area under the old one. That area likely is
now a different color than the rest of the ceiling.