Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GMAN GMAN is offline

Default Dell Dimension 4600C cpu fan dead.

In article , Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:25:55 -0700, David Farber wrote:

I'm servicing a Dell Dimension 4600 which is shutting down after about 5
minutes. The next time the PC boots, it gives a warning that the previous
time it shut down was due to a thermal problem. That led me to notice that
the CPU fan wasn't turning. The part number of the fan is 9G180. Inside
the fan housing is a small two terminal device. It measures about 6.3k
ohms. Is this an open fusible link,
a thermistor, or something else?

Thanks for your reply.

My guess would be something that gives a thermal feedback to the fan
control.

Exactly, a thermister