Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default need backup news server

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:16:56 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jon
Danniken" quickly quoth:

"Karl Townsend" wrote:
My ISP dropped newsgroup support a year ago. So I got a block account from
Octanews.com Almost free, I paid $4 for the first block and haven't used
it up yet.

it went down yesterday, back up now. It would be nice to have another news
server all set up. Any recommendations? I'm not paying a monthly charge.
Block billing is OK

I've been on news.individual.net since they were the U. Berlin and free.
It's about 12 bucks a year now, billed annually, text only, and I've never
had a hint of trouble with it.

I've been on Forte's APN (Agent Premium Newsgroups) servers for close
to a year now and they're great. It's a full-newsgroup server (text
and binaries) costing $2.95/month and is uncapped (IE: VERY fast)

They filtered out 98% of that spam that hit the group a short while
back. I didn't even know there was a problem until you guys started
complaining. It's well worth it. http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
(standard disclaimer applies. I'm a happy user, nothing more.)

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---